Hauling the Monk at Hylebos Marina for bottom paint and topsides refinishing
New photos at the bottom
The old Monk gets hauled at Hylebos Marina located about halfway down the Hylebos Waterway in Tacoma.
It's been about a year since she was last hauled and it shows. Primary task for Renee and I is to get those stainless rub strips and the rusting stainless screws off the hull. The hull is bronze-fastened, but somebody put that stainless on there and it's just rusting away. The rub strip on the left side turned out to be aluminum - aaarrrghh!!!
The kind folks at Hylebos put the Monk in the shed for the duration because they didn't have any other paint jobs going on and what a great deal that turned out to be. I hauled the boat on Friday and that was the last day of dry weather for 6 days. Torrential rain and wind would have made the topsides job a disaster - and it was very frustrating for the other boat owners in the yard who lost a few days of hull painting because of the wind and rain.
Because we had so much time to spend in the shed, we decided to wood the transom and refinish it. It had some kind of plastic polyurethane coating that was cracked and almost opaque.
I start sanding and filling
The Port Orford cedar is in very good condition, the ends of the planks at the transom needed some sanding and there was one small part that I had to dig out because it was very soft. No rot in the PO, but the stainless screws had blackened the white oak rub rails.
The prop comes off to allow me to have the cutlass bearing replaced. The good people at Tacoma prop did a fine and quick job of pressing in a new bearing.
The prop did not have a zinc on it, so I rectified that.
Much fairing was required to resolve an old repair that someone must have done on the forward part of the hull.
The old paint was still in pretty good shape - no cracking or peeling.
John from Hylebos paints the bottom.
Late Sunday - after sanding, a coat of Interlux Pre-Kote goes on. I'll end up with two coats of primer and two coats of Brightside top coat.
I originally wanted to leave the gunwales Bristol Beige - but the boss changed my mind. She's the design expert, so I just follow instructions when it comes to colors, etc.
Below - ready for the second coat of primer.
Renee installs the new zincs
Tailstock with new cutlass bearing installed goes on.
Above - new prop zinc installed.
Epifanes is the only way to go - in my opinion
Second coat of primer on.
Above - a nice day in the Hylebos Waterway.
Above - the Wolverine sits in the yard. It has Alaska licenses pasted all over the house.
Sanding for the final coats of Epifanes and Brightsides.
Sanding the first coat of Brightsides with 220.
Below - the boss wiping her down with the tack rag prior to rolling and tipping. Did I mention how nice it is to be in the shed?
Final coat applied and I've had enough of this!
Below - Stormbird's new covered boathouse in the Hylebos Marina - this will be so nice!!
Stay tuned - we splash her on Saturday morning.
Saturday, May 9, 2009 and the Travel-Lift moves into the shed and picks up Stormbird. John paints the areas where she sat on the keel blocks and then she's hauled out of the shed.
Above - nice new bottom paint, new zincs, new propshaft bearing, new topsides paint and she goes back in the water, eight days after being hauled.
Above - in her new boathouse. Snug as a bug in a rug!
Above - the following series of photos documents the removal and overhaul of the water-cooled manifold and fixing the leaky oil filter pipe. I put some Kroil on the nuts to ease the removal process.
I remove the carburetor from the bottom of the manifold - you can see the leaking oil pipe. It's leaking at the joint to the fitting that goes into the oil pump.
Using my DC-4 cowling screwdriver (must be twenty years old now) I pry the manifold away from the engine block.
Manifold removed, leaking oil pipe clearly visible. I plan to replace that old fuel line coming from the fuel pump as well since it's about 60 years old and very brittle.
Making the new oil pipe.
New fitting installed under the newly overhauled manifold.
I have to remove the oil filter housing to get the new pipe fitting started into the bottom of the housing fitting - what a pain in the ass! The connection I'm removing below is the line from the oil filter to the oil cooler. The newly painted water pipe on the top of the oil cooler take cooling water from the oil cooler to the exhaust manifold.
New oil filter going into the oil filter housing. Got two of these for seven bucks from National Auto Parts in Sumner.
Below - after the morning's maintenance Renee and I take the old Monk out for a cruise - what a huge difference! She moves much easier through the water. We're seeing almost seven knots at 1500 rpm now. Runs cool as a cucumber!
Renee driving while I set the economizer needle on the carburetor at high power. Another beautiful day on the Puget Sound.
Note the new Icom 422 DCS VHF COM coupled to the GPS Chart plotter. ADS-B for boats!